Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Confessions of an Eco Mommy

I must admit to having a little guilt after my "It's Not Easy Being Green" post. I try, try, try to be green and make good choices, but it isn't always easy! I'm certainly not always a poster child for green living.

Then I read Mom Confessions: Eco Edition at Eco Child's Play and I thought I would join in with a few confessions of my own. You know, assuage my non-green guilt a little. So here goes...

1) I love taking long, hot showers. The kind that turn your skin red and puckery. And I have even been known to take a quick shower, and THEN fill up the bathtub for a little soak. Not often, but sometimes. When it's been one of those days. Ahhhh...

2) I like things. Buying things. Having things. And I like sparkly, shiny, clean new things. I'm not a label diva or brand name goddess, but I do like shopping. And buying. And having. Especially now that I have munchkin and there are so many stinkin' cute baby things. Despite my best efforts to contain it, sometimes the shopping beast rears its ugly head.

3) I do the drive-thru more often than I want to admit. Like tonight, when the fridge is literally bursting with green, organic CSA produce freshly harvested from a local farm, already paid for and sitting at its peak of flavor. So what did Mr. T and I eat? Taco Bell. Sigh. Because it was one of those nights.



4) I often once in a while throw glass into the trashcan. Because our curbside recycler won't accept it. And the nearest drop-off place is about 45 minutes away. And sometimes that 45 minute drive just doesn't get done.

5) I secretly envy my neighbor's plush, green, chemical-laden lawns. As I spend hours on my butt in our dandelion-dense yard, pulling weeds by hand and realizing that the weeds are much faster that I will ever be, I secretly consider going to Lowe's and picking up a bag of weed-and-feed. Because sometimes that corn gluten stuff is for the birds. And maybe if the birds didn't eat it all, it would actually work better on the weeds.

Ok, I feel a little better already. I know, you're judging me, right? But surely, deep down, you have a few confessions of your own. Dare to add them below?



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are all human and shouldn't be too hard on ourselves. I found myself laughing at these!!! I consider myself and eco mommy and can relate on so many levels-MD

Nicole said...

I am trying to be more of an eco mommy, but I still like to buy things. I love shopping! And I also head through the drive-thru more than I should- especially for a iced coffee or a sweet tea :)

amber said...

Mmmm, hot showers and guilty spending sprees are part of what makes life fun. Now, if you buy new clothes, wear them in the shower, then throw them in the trash...then you should be worried.

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

My father swears by just watering his lawn with an inch of water a week (use a tuna can to measure) to keep it lush and green. He's very proud of the fact that his lawn looks better than his neighbor's who use a chemical lawn service (ick!) And he uses less water to water his lawn than Mr. Chemical Lawn guy does too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin