Thursday, May 14, 2009

Those sweet, sweet moments...

Even before I (finally) became a mom, I knew that there would be moments that would take my breath away. And I have not been disappointed.

Tonight was one of those times. Mr. T was working late, Munchkin was crabby from TeethThatWillNotComeIn, the house was a mess, and I was worried about paying bills. I did not have high hopes about the evening and found myself desperately craving a glass of wine, or three.

Out of desperation, I scooped up Munchkin, pajamas and all, and took her outside to the deck. The sun was getting low in the sky, just starting to offer its final sunset glow of the evening. The birds were still chirping. And in the meadow behind our house, two deer walked slowly, grazing and quietly watching. Munchkin and I settled back into a rocking chair and rocked into a quiet rhythm, interrupted only by the occasional escape of drool. We stayed there for fifteen, twenty minutes...rocking, rocking, rocking...until the chewing of little hands was replaced by a deep yawn.

So we moved our rocking party into her room and snuggled up with her blanket and a trusty copy of Goodnight Moon. And as Munchkin looked up at me, she gave me one of her famous million-dollar smiles.

And I no longer cared about the bills. About the mess. About anything except my sweet little babe and rocking, rocking, rocking...

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin